Friday, July 11, 2008

Battle of the Sexes

Conversation Between an Old Friend and Myself

J-Dawg: So what have you been up to lately?
Me: Not much. We have 3 cats, which I shouldn't start off the conversation with but it's the truth. I've become a married cat lady. We're saving to buy a house. I took up rubber stamping as a hobby. I am hooked on Tivo. I still like pb&j sandwiches with a side of sharp cheddar cheese.
J: Still talking to your old roommate?
Me: Yeah. She lives in CA still so we don't see each other that often.
J: What about that guy who was masquerading as your BFF?
Me: Masquerading? Why do you say it like that? We were besties for long while. But I got married and his gf at the time hated me, so we lost touch. We still see each other from time to time but it's not the same.
J: I say masquerading because everyone knows members of the opposite sex can't be platonic best friends.
Me: That's such an ignorant thing to say. We were friends because of who we were as people, not because of what gender we are.
J: Ask anybody. J-Dawg knows his uncomfortable sexual chemistry. Men and women can't be just friends.

This led to a rousing debate about the matter, which includes both of us ragging on each other's past relationships. I'll leave that bit out because frankly, Husband doesn't want to hear that I ever dated anyone else. And J would kill me if I told the story of his tryst with the girl who ended up being a crack dealer. Let's just say it involved handcuffs and not in a good way.

I think it's completely possible. I've had a few male friends that I was never attracted to and vice versa. What are your thoughts? Can men and women have a completely platonic relationship?

7 comments:

wegrit said...

I am a strong proponent for the man/woman platonic friendship thing. My best friend is a guy. Who is so different from me that just the thought of our getting together makes both of us cringe. My best ever drinking buddy is a guy I've never, ever wanted to sleep with, but who is the most awesome wingman (and I'm an awesome wingman for him) on top of his duties as awesome drinking buddy.

So the answer: Absolutely, yes.

Then again, I worked in sports a long time, so most of my friends have been guys. That's just how it goes.

Belle Ecrivaine said...

I'm totally on your side. I live with three boys, all of whom were friends with me before we moved in together. Okay, so, I've been dating one of them for almost six years, but still! Most of my friends are guys, and there is no sexual chemistry between us. I don't see them as potential mates, and I doubt they see me as anything more than a friend/sister. I dislike when people bring up the When Harry Met Sally argument, because sure,that does happen (uh, boyfriend and I), but not with every male/female friendship.

Rahul said...

Of course men and women can just be friends.

Screw you Billy Crystal!

Jamie Lovely said...

I definitely think so. I have some awesome guys friends that I'm just not attracted too.

Anonymous said...

I think you're calling me ugly in this blog. (And I think I just called myself self-centered)

And I am going to be the only one who will disagree with you and say that they cannot. But only because it usually leads to the significant other of one of the people becoming upset and overprotective.

Your totally platonic friend,
Cory

The Noisy Plume said...

Sure they can...if one is neutered and the other is spayed.

Sean said...

"I've had a few male friends that I was never attracted to and vice versa."
====================================



The sentence is great, right up until the "vise-versa".

Don't kid youself, dudes are made to mate, and mate continually with different partners... It's an animal thing.

Menogomy isn't one of our fortes, we're just not made that way. Though we are human (giant leap above animals), and god expects more from us, so a good man will oblige...