Friday, April 11, 2008

Pudge - Controlling the Weather from the Big Ocean in the Sky

It was a sad day today. I feel a little silly posting about this, especially since other people have lost pets and family members recently.
My favorite pet fish, Pudge, passed away today. He was an old fish and a good fish and he will be sorely missed. It's kinda ridiculous how choked up I get over his death. He was a fish. Never spoke. Never hugged me or purred or barked. Never so much as smiled. But I bonded with him. I'll miss the way he wiggled whenever I walked up to the tank to feed him. I'll miss telling the story of the time he got a piece of gravel stuck in his mouth and Dan had to pry it out with a paperclip. I'll miss lying on my bed, watching him swim back and forth when I'm sad. I'll miss quoting Lilo and Stitch to Dan and saying "Pudge controls the weather." He was a tiny feeder goldfish that shouldn't have lived more than a week, but fate brought him to me and we have lived together for almost 3 years.
In all truth, I fell in love with Pudge. I will miss him and the fish tank looks so strange without his 7 inch span swimming around. Dan said we could get another companion fish for Nemo so he doesn't get lonely, but I don't think I'm ready to replace Pudge yet. Truth be told, I don't think I'll ever be able to replace him.
Goodbye Pudge. I'll miss you.

3 comments:

Dan said...

I'm going to miss Pudge too...

wegrit said...

My brother had a goldfish that lived a ridiculously long time too. Weird how some go belly up in three days and some last three years. I think you got lucky!

I'm sorry for your little fish though.

Tia said...

awww. he looks like he was a nice fish. i'm sorry!