Thursday, March 6, 2008

Baking 101


Not my wedding cake, originally uploaded by Klick Here.

So, Katie posted a comment on the previous post which made me think that my baking skills deserved a blog post. She is referring to a cake that I made in the microwave while living in the sorority dorm. She made non-stop fun of me, even while we sat in the hallway, eating it straight out of the pan. Because that's the kind of friends we are.
I even made a few birthday cakes for various people. My then-boyfriend's roommate had never had a birthday cake made for him before, so he got the first one. He claimed to like it, but then again who wouldn't like my cooking? I also made a few for some sorority sisters who had bad breakups. I was the Betty Crocker of Mountain View.
I had visions of making a multi-tiered cake, complete with delicate sugar spun flowers. Like the picture, but with round cake pans. By the way, the cake in the picture is not my wedding cake but happens to have our initials on it. I googled "cake" and that was the first image on the list. Cake karma.
So anyway, I had these grand ideas and not enough people to bake for. And then I moved into a room with a pot head, a nympho and a stereotypical California beach bum. My cookware was quickly trashed. I never replaced it, mostly because I was a poor college student and also because I had a meal plan.
But, in honor of those first few microwaved cakes, here is my microwavable cake recipe.

Ingredients:
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 can of chocolate frosting

Mix cake according to directions on box. Pour into microwavable cake pan. Bake according to directions on cake pan. Let cool. Spread with chocolate frosting and enjoy.

You're welcome.

0 comments: