Friday, January 11, 2008

Head Bopping Madness

Most of my friends have definitive taste in music. They tend to shy away from the "pop" genre that made the likes of Britney famous. I, however, adore it. The upbeat tempo, catchy lyrics and general bubblegum feel of the songs make me happy.

While we were moving, I had L.F.O's "Summer Girls" stuck in my head. Any takers? L.F.O. (or Lyte Funkie Ones for those of us in the know,) had 2 albums out and maybe 3 hit songs in total. Jennifer Love Hewitt dated one of the singers many years ago and he wrote one of their singles about her. ("Girl on TV" for you trivia buffs.) Anyway, "Summer Girls" was a smash hit. (kinda. In the one-hit wonder, only played at pool parties, sort of way.) I have had the song running through my head non-stop for the past 2 weeks. The bad part is that I can only remember a few lines...
New Kids on the Block had a bunch of hits
Chinese food makes me sick
And I think it's fly when a girl stops by
For the summer. For the summer.

Award winning prose, it's not. And "summer" is pronounced "summah." But it's catchy and engraved into my memory cells. I want to buy the single off iTunes but something about buying a 90's pop hit is making me want to find it on sale instead. Yes, I am too cheap to pay 99 cents for this song.

This lead to me remembering other 90's pop faves. The Spice Girls have reunited. (I put myself on the waiting list to buy tickets to their concert but didn't get them, much to Dan's happiness.) I am planning on downloading a bunch of their old songs, as well as their new single. I also listened to B*Witched and the Cardigans. Aqua and A-Teens were other sure head boppers. All in all, I found about 20 singles that would make a great mixed CD. Something about the entire situation makes me feel like a pimple faced teenager again, listening to these songs and giggling with my friends about which boy we thought was cute. (None of them, by the way. Boys have cooties.)

This blog probably made me lose even more street cred. Oh well, someday you'll all be jealous when I get onto one of those tv game shows and win thousands of dollars. In the summah, in the summah.

1 comments:

The Noisy Plume said...

...i like girls who wear abercrombie and fitch....