Monday, October 1, 2007

Race for the Cure

Dan's mom is one of the nicest women I have ever met. Including me, and that's saying something.
She was diagnosed with breast cancer a few weeks ago. The prognosis is great-they caught it early and have been thorough with treatment. She's the type of woman who doesn't feel sorry for herself. She's considering this a hurdle that she has to get past, shake off and then move on with her life. She's definitely a lot braver than I could ever be.
This news coincidentally enough came around Breast Cancer Awareness month. I have always heard news reports of Race for the Cure, but never paid much attention to it. Breast cancer was always a disease that I assumed would never effect me or anyone I knew.

This was a wake up call that breast cancer hits quickly, fiercely and without any warning.
Dan and I decided to walk in the Race for the Cure on October 14th. We're not doing any fundraising this year since it's so close. But next year I will be well prepared to start my donation pleas months in advance.
If any of you would like to join us, let me know. We're planning on car pooling with some others who have joined in. It's only a 5k walk, so it will give you a chance to gossip, enjoy the (hopefully) cooler weather as well as raise awareness and support for a very worthy cause.

0 comments: